Friday, January 7, 2011

Ridin' Solo

Today MT was out so there was a sub. MT decided this was the perfect opportunity for me to jump in and teach all of the classes. Luckily, it wasn't anything too difficult. We made maps of East Asia. It was really nice to get to interact with the students and get to know them better. I finally know all 120 names!

Not going to lie, I was nervous to be in a middle school. I always heard horror stories about how crazy the students are. Over the past few days, I discovered middle school students don't live up to those horror stories. Yes, they are hormonal (weren't we all?), but they are so fun. They are so full of energy, and that's where the key factor is. My job is to figure out the best way to channel all of that energy to help them learn. Easier said than done for sure.

Student: "Miss C, how long are you going to be with us?"
Me: "Til the middle of March."

Student: "Perfect, you can buy Girl Scout cookies from me!"

Student: "Miss C, let me hook you up with some chocolate." Opens a book bag full of Hershey's kisses.
Me: "Where did you get all that chocolate?!"
Student: "My mom is going on a diet so she had to get rid of all the chocolate. She didn't want to throw it out so she gave it all to me! I love when she goes on diets!"


Student: "Dalai Lama? I've never heard of that kind of llama before."

Student: "You said you went to school in Wisconsin, right?"
Me: "Yep."
Student: "Is that where macaroni and cheese is from? Because at Noodles its called Wisconsin Mac and Cheese."


There were some other great quotes, but by the end of the day I seem to forget them!

No comments:

Post a Comment